New Haven Register Nov 16, 2021
OPM: Tip on West Haven pandemic spending reported to feds; restructuring money being withheld
WEST HAVEN — A new tip alleging “areas of concern” about West Haven’s management of its allocation of CARES Act pandemic funding has been turned over to federal authorities, according to the state Office of Policy and Management, which also notified the city that is is withholding restructuring funds.
New Haven Register Nov 4, 2021
Feds: DiMassa business partner, a West Haven City Hall employee, charged with wire fraud
WEST HAVEN — City Hall employee John Bernardo was arrested Thursday on a federal wire fraud charge stemming from the alleged circumstances of the federal case against his business partner, former state Rep. Michael DiMassa, according to the Department of Justice.
Republicans Unveil Plan to Curb Juvenile Crime Rates
August 10, 2021
In response to rising incidences of juvenile crime House Republicans unveiled a comprehensive approach to much-needed reform within the juvenile justice system on Tuesday morning. The plan identifies crime prevention resources that will be made available to all of Connecticut’s communities and specific adjustments that can strengthen the abilities of judges and law enforcement to address this crisis. Republican legislators are urging their colleagues in the majority party to convene a special session and vote on these proposals as soon as possible.
These proposed reforms include:
- Implementing victim impact panels and juvenile delinquency hearings;
- Electronic monitoring for juveniles arrested while awaiting trial on previous offenses;
- Expedited arraignment for felonies, a sex assault, offense involving use of a firearm;
- Court-ordered Family Support Services intervention at juvenile court arraignments;
- Expanding circumstances in which a matter is automatically transferred to regular criminal docket;
- Creating a new offense of “larceny of a motor vehicle” not tied to the value of the vehicle.